Saturday, December 12, 2015

SUPER. NATURAL V

                                                     John 14:5-14

Thomas, the disciple’s, question is in response to what Jesus had just told his followers, Don’t let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God, and trust in me…I AM going to prepare a place for you.  When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I AM.  And you know the way to where I AM going (John 14:1-3).

This is one of the most important scriptures in the Bible.  How do we know the way to God?, Through Jesus.  Jesus is the way because, the Word (God) became human and made his home among us…And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son  (John 1:14). This is John’s the narrative of Jesus’ birth.  John 14 records some of the last teachings of Jesus before he was arrested and crucified.  There is a similar theme between John 1 and 14. 

As Jesus united his life with ours, taking on a human body, so as we unite with Jesus, we are united with God.  Jesus is saying:  “Trust me and I will take you to the Father.  All the benefits of being God’s child will be yours.  Some people say that “Jesus is the only way to God is too narrow.”  In reality is so wide that whole world, if they choose to follow Jesus, will know the way to God.  Let us thank God for providing a sure way into his God’s presence.

The disciple Philip says:  Show us the Father, and we will be satisfied. Jesus responded:  Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.  Don’t you believe that IAM in the Father and the Father is in me?  The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me and does his work through me…Believe because the work you have seen me do (vs. 8-11).  Jesus is the visible, tangible image of the invisible God.  (Colossians 1:15-23)  He is the complete revelation of what God is like.  To know Jesus is to know God.  Those searching for God, truth and reality need only look to and follow Jesus.

Jesus says:  I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works.  This verse is used as the theme of this Advent.  The disciples did what they had seen Jesus do, heal a lame man and raising someone from the dead.  It was the “Promised Holy Spirit” who lead them into truth and empowered them.

Jesus gives us the same message and promised Holy Spirit.  As we tell Jesus’ story and how he has impacted our lives, the Holy Spirit will help us to know what to say.  When we see a need, we are invited to pray for God’s healing, direction, forgiveness or provision for the person or situation.  Ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.  (vs. 14)              

Question:  Jesus said:  I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life … Follow me.   Have you ever tried going your own way, rather than following Jesus?  What were the results?  In troubled times what promises of God give you hope and courage?  

Prayer:  Ever-loving God, you came into this world clothed in our garments of flesh.  Clothe me in your Spirit, that others will recognize you in me and receive your greatest gift of love.  I pray in the name of Jesus, your greatest gift. Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment